Szputnyik is a committed environmentalist and we try our best to produce as little waste as possible and our main motto is sustainability.
With the arrival of the New Year, we have also taken stock of where we are on this journey, what we have done and what we still have to do. We are taking a conscious look at our past so that we can plan for an even more sustainable future. In which we can act even more as allies of nature, as helpers of the planet. It's a long journey and it's hard to do it perfectly, but we always learn from our mistakes and try to improve on the ones we haven't yet mastered.
What do we do in our daily lives?
- Some of our vintage clothes come in big heavy-duty plastic bags, and although they're made of plastic, we reuse them a lot, to the point where they're beyond repair.
- In our shop we recycle in every possible way. From our plastic bags to our packaging, we recycle everything we can. We even recycle our cardboard boxes and ship them all over the world and from warehouse to store until they collapse.
- Our postal packaging is delivered to the customer in recycled plastic bags or paper packaging, and you can ask for paper bags in store.
- Vásárlási folyamatunk során a világ minden tájáról válogatunk, és termékeinket légi helyett hajóval szállítjuk, és minden munkaanyagunkat online osztjuk meg, nem pedig nyomtatva.
- Minden terünkben LED-es világításra álltunk át, és dolgozunk azon, hogy tovább takarékoskodjunk berendezéseink által felhasznált villamos energiával.
HASZNÁLT AZ ELSŐ:
A vintage szakértőkből álló csapatunk vezetésével az üzlet minden szintjén keményen dolgozunk, hogy izgalmas és egyedi vásárlási élményt nyújtsunk sokszínű és igényes vásárlóinknak. Hatalmas vintage-kollekciónk beszerzése globálisan történik, képzett szakértők nemzetközi csapata kézzel válogatja ki a legjobb vintage és használt darabokat vásárlóink számára.
A sérült vintage ruhákat nem dobjuk ki, hanem felkészült, ügyes kezű kollégáink segítségével újra tökéletes darabokat varázsolunk belőle. A leeső gombokat újra felhasználjuk, az elromlott cipzárakat kicseréljük. Minden ruhadarab értékes, és így is bánunk velük.
- We source from all over the world, ship our products by air instead of ship, and share all our work online rather than in print.
CONSERVE OUR RESOURCES:
- We have switched to LED lighting in all our spaces and are working to further conserve the electricity used by our equipment.
WE'RE WORKING TO IMPROVE THE WAY WE USE LED LIGHTING:
Led by our team of vintage experts at every level of the store, we work hard to provide an exciting and unique shopping experience for our diverse and discerning customers. Our vast vintage collection is sourced globally, with an international team of trained experts handpicking the best vintage and second-hand pieces for our customers.
We don't throw away damaged vintage clothes, but with the help of our trained and skilled staff, we turn them into perfect pieces again. We reuse buttons that fall off and replace broken zippers. Every piece of clothing is precious, and we treat them as such.
Our products also help you shop more sustainably and offer alternatives to the big fast fashion companies. Ethical brands, vintage products, local designers, reworked and upcycled pieces! They all offer a way to make a significantly smaller impact on our environment and point the way to a future without waste and overproduction.
We support various NGOs whose determined work contributes to a better world. We support the work of the Hungarian Ornithological Society, the St. Francis Animal Shelter and Breeding of Greyhounds, and the Hungarian Down Foundation with our collection boxes and donate all proceeds to them.
And now let the numbers speak:
The fashion industry is the second most polluting in the world, and since 95% of discarded clothes can be given a second life, we have set ourselves this goal. By wasting less and recycling more, we can make a lasting impact on the world. Plus, with so many beautiful vintage and second-hand clothes, there's plenty of choice to create a more sustainable wardrobe.
In 2021, we returned nearly 20,000 vintage and second-hand clothes. We are proud of this quantity.
By recycling used materials, we save money every year, including in 2019:
348,000 lbs of CO2,
680,000 kWh of electricity,
5,859,340 litres of water saved.
By buying used instead of new, we can offset the CO2 emissions from the production of harmful new clothing.
It takes 75 pounds of CO2 to produce the average pair of jeans,
It takes 2,653 litres of water to produce a new T-shirt.
By choosing used over new, you reduce your carbon emissions by 82%!
Not only do we recycle products and keep textile waste out of landfills, but we also make a conscious effort to streamline every part of our business from packaging to shipping to minimize our negative impact on the environment.
What are our plans for the future?
1. We are ready to further increase the number of vintage clothes we produce, following the demand.
2. This will also help us a lot, as the transport is not harmful to the environment and we can trace the process of making the products.
3. We produce less waste. OUR DREAM IS TO CONTINUE TO RECYCLE AND REUSE 10,000S OF GARMENTS.
4. encourage a new generation of consumers to think in terms of second-hand products first.
5. We believe in the importance of creating a diverse and safe workplace.
We must focus on diversity and inclusion to promote a culture of innovation and collaboration. We are committed to ensuring that our employees enter the workplace every day feeling comfortable and well. A unique perspective is critical to solving complex problems and inspiring a new generation.